June 1, 2020

Solace in Nature

by Brandon Marie Miller

My usual blog posts discuss American history. Today, I feel more than ever the ache that we desperately need to learn our history, confront it, and do better. We face hard times. We are in the midst of a Pandemic. Millions of Americans have lost their jobs. We are also in a fight for justice and equality in our streets that has been going on for centuries. Why can't we listen? This has happened over and over again in our history. People are hurting.

This month I'm going to write about the tiniest thing we can do to find a moment of clarity. Get out in nature. That's all. Feel the sun, smell the rain. Engage all your senses. I know I'm lucky. I have a front porch, flower beds, herbs and vegetables I grow. I watch rabbits, squirrels, birds, lizards, and chipmunks in my yard. Sometimes a deer strolls through, or a raccoon, or opossum. A few minutes outdoors works wonders for our brains and bodies. It's how we humans are wired. This is important for all of us, but especially for children.

I'm sharing an activity from the book WILDLIFE RANGER, a colorful and fun outdoor guide for kids. Mary Kay Carson wrote the book and her husband Tom Uhlman took the photos. The book is a wonderful escape into nature with activities to help protect the wildlife in a child's own backyard, their own block, or the park they visit.

Enjoy and stay safe.
.

1 comment: